Good morning and happy Sunday! I hope you are having a good weekend. Mine started out kind of rough… yesterday felt like a wasted day.
Got up bright and early for an oil change appointment, only to end up cancelling after sitting in stopped traffic on the interstate for forever.
Searched the entire city of Charlotte for nutmeg. Who knew a spice could be in such high demand? (P.S. World Market to the rescue).
Watched the Hokies get their asses handed to them by ECU. In Lane Stadium. The week after beating Ohio State. Why, VT? Whyyyyy?
Beamer is in mourning.
Decided to treat myself to my the first Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season because overpriced coffee always makes everything better. Except it was awful. Like, really really bad.
Thanks for nothing, Starbucks.
Finally declared the day a bust, took a long bubble bath and went to bed. The end.
So a big decision we’ve been facing lately is what to do about our current living situation. We moved to Charlotte 3 years ago and had always planned to buy another house after I finished my dietetic internship (this summer). My new job kind of threw a wrench in those plans because the area in which we had planned to buy is nowhere near my work.
So we decided to hold off on buying for another year while we explore different locations in Charlotte.
Here’s our current problem:
I have a 60 minute commute to work right now. It would be awesome if it was shorter. We are weighing the pros and cons of moving to a new apartment since it would just be for a year and we are trying to save for a house.
Our lease was pretty much up when I started my new job, so we started paying too much to go to a month-to-month lease while we figured out what we wanted to do. I felt like I could not take on starting a new job and apartment hunting at the same time, and we are really just now trying to make a final decision about our living situation.
After several weeks of looking and way too many apartment tours, we’ve narrowed it down to 2 apartment complexes. They are right beside each other and owned by the same company.
Here’s what we’re thinking about, considering that we are also saving for a house:
- Commute: the best location we can find while still being happy with the general area would shorten my commute to 40 minutes. K’s would stay the same. Is 20 minutes really worth moving?
- New apartment expenses: this includes a $450 pet fee (for both dogs) and a $120 application fee. These are just 1-time fees but they seem like a waste since we’re only living there for 1 year.
- Increase in rent: we have a pretty sweet deal right now because we have lived in our current place for so long.
- Moving Expenses: moving is expensive, yo. Even if we did most of it ourselves, we would still spend a couple of hundred dollars for a moving truck.
- Gas savings: I was hoping the saving in gas would make up some of the difference in moving costs, but they end up being minimal. This is mostly because I only work 4 days per week instead of 5.
- Sanity: I can deal with a 40 minute commute but those last 20 minutes drive me crazy. Something about bumper-to-bumper traffic when you’re only 5 miles from your home makes me feel like I’m about to break out in hives
Soooo that is everything we are considering right now! On the one hand, I would love to have a shorter commute and I really love the 2 new apartment options. On the other hand, sucking up the commute for 1 more year might be the best option financially.
We are hoping to make a decision this week…. to be continued.