Sorry this post is coming to you a little late today… I goofed off after work yesterday and went to bed early last night, so I didn’t have time to sit down and write anything.
I wanted to say THANK YOU so much to everyone who filled out my blog survey. I got some excellent feedback and will be sure to incorporate your thoughts into future posting. I was also s.o.h.a.p.p.y. to see how many people requested more nutrition posts. I love writing about nutrition, food products, labeling, etc., but I’m always afraid those types of posts come off as boring. I’m excited about adding more into the mix!
(P.S. I decided I’m just going to leave the survey open for now so feel free to fill out if you haven’t already… I would love to hear from you).
So, I have some news and it’s kind of a bummer… I talked to my doctor yesterday morning and decided to postpone my plica surgery. It was originally scheduled for February 20th but I cancelled it for the time being.
There is a laundry list of things that led me to this decision:
-My doctor recommended taking 8 weeks off of work to let my knee and the inflammation completely heal since my job does involve walking and being on my feet. I could go back sooner but will probably deal with swelling and pain towards the end of the day. I haven’t been at my job long enough to qualify for FMLA so I couldn’t take off that much time. While ultimately I will be able to walk on my knee and can return to work when I feel comfortable, I hated the idea of not having the option to take off the recommended time in case something happened and I needed it.
-Life has been stressful lately. My mom had surgery a month ago. My grandmother was just diagnosed with cancer. My dog needs to have another surgery. To be completely honest, adding my knee into the mix right now just felt really overwhelming.
-Deciding to postpone the surgery does not affect the structure of my knee and will not cause any long term damage.
-I can now exercise as tolerated. I hate that I can’t run and can only cycle minimally, but I know there’s lots of things I can do in the meantime. And I’m trying to put things into perspective… I should be thankful that I still have the ability to walk, work and function pretty normally in my day-to-day life.
-Continuing to take prescription anti-inflammatories, which greatly decreases my pain, is okay for the time being.
-The stronger my leg is before surgery, the better my recovery will be. This will give me something to work on now and gives me more motivation to get back into the pool.
I’m really disappointed that I am not getting the procedure done right now, but I know postponing it was the right choice. I appreciated that my doctor spent a long time explaining everything to me yesterday and reassured me that it was okay to put things on the back burner.
So that is what is going on with that.
Brighter news… I’m headed to Virginia this weekend to visit my grandmother. I’m looking forward to spending time with her!
What are you up to this weekend?