Hey guys! I have recently been the lucky recipient of whatever bug is being passed around at work. I’ve been down for the count most of this week so I’m hoping to turn a corner soon. Special thanks to tylenol, sudafed, G2 and hot showers for seeing me through this time.
On a brighter note, I was recently sent a pack of Manitoba Harvest Hemp Heart Bars to try out as part of my Sweat Pink Ambassadorship. You guys know that I don’t do a ton of product reviews around here, but snack bars are something I’m especially interested in.
1.) I like to see what’s out there so I feel knowledgeable when talking to patients.
2.) There are so many snack bars out there that have a TON of crazy ingredients.
3.) I find snack/granola bars to be a PIA to make and hard to replicate. So if I can find a decent alternative then I will take that.
So yes, I’m always interested in trying new bars! Even though these were sent to me, I do want to give my honest review of the product as a registered dietitian.
I was sent 2 flavors of the Hemp Heart Bars to review: chocolate and apple cinnamon. Here is some info on them.
– 10g of plant based protein
– 10g of omega 3s and 6s
– 4g dietary fiber
– 10 ingredients
– No GMOs
So how do these stack up to other snack bars you typically find in the grocery store?
- More protein and fiber- unless you are specifically buying a bar that is marketed as a protein or fiber bar, you are generally not going to find one that has that much protein and fiber in one place
- More or less ingredients- many bars out there have way more than 10 ingredients, which is kind of scary. Some of the more natural bars out there, like Larabars, usually have less.
- More natural ingredients compared to many others
- Sugar- you really have to watch the added sugar in snack bars, even ones packed with healthful things, and these hemp bars are no different. I always recommend looking at the first 3 ingredients (ingredients are listed in order of greatest to least) as well as the g of sugar. The first 3 ingredients of these bars are hemp hearts, organic coconut palm sugar and organic brown rice syrup. Sugar is sugar, even when it’s organic. Just something to keep in mind when thinking about your total daily sugar intake.
See their website for more information about purchasing. The discount code hhbarlaunch1015 will get you 15% off! Expires March 31.
Would you like to win a free box of hemp bars? Tag @manitobaharvest #hempheartbar #fuelledbyhemp #sweatpink @fitapproach in your social media posts for a chance to win a box of your favorite flavor of Hemp Heart Bars. See their website for more deets.